Recipe: Garfield’s Kale SaladStandard
Garfield’s Kale Salad
Darling daughter #2 brought home this yummy recipe after her first year at Pacific Lutheran University. She discovered it at a cafe near campus. It has been a family favorite ever since. Another big bonus for me is that the Farmer will actually consider this a meal. Usually the salad is his appetizer. Enjoy!
- 2-4 slices of cooked bacon crumbled
- 1/4-1/2 cup feta cheese (Add as much or as little as you like!)
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1-2 cups roasted cauliflower — We just cook it for a bit in the pan with the bacon grease.
- 1 bunch kale — strip off the rib, then tear leaves into bite size pieces. Then roll between your hands. This is called massaging the kale. It makes it tender. Don’t skip this step!Optional:
- 1-2 cups chopped chicken breast —You can use leftovers or saute it in the bacon grease with a bit of garlic.
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds/other nuts
- Dressing (suggestions: Italian, Balsamic vinegar and olive oil, Caesar dressing)
Mix all ingredients together and then toss with your favorite dressing. Serve at room temp or chilled.
Note: Measurements are very loose since we use leftover and adjust depending whether it is a side or main dish.