I made these last summer and was happy with how they turned out. My girls can go through a jar of day. I personally prefer fermented pickles over canned ones, but I have access to a huge walk in cooler.
Claussen Kosher Pickles Copy Cat
- 1 gallon pickling cucumbers
- 1⁄3 cup instant minced onion
- 6 garlic cloves, minced (I did whole and added more)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mustard seeds
- Peppercorns (I added about 1/4 tsp to each jar)
- 6 heads fresh seed dill (I added more)
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup canning salt
- Slice cucumbers lengthwise into quarters (I left them whole but did cut the tips off which is supposed to help keep them crispy); add to sterilized jars along with the dill.
- Boil liquids and seasonings to dissolve the salt then cool.
- Pour over pickles and let sit on counter for three days shaking or turning them occasionally,
- Refrigerate. He said they keep for a year.